Trimble has come out with a TDS Recon rugged handheld computer that meets all MIL-STD-810F and IP specifications. This rugged mobile is highly portable, lightweight (490g), and incredibly functional. While it may be larger than a standard pocket PC, it is much more durable. The TDS Recon comes in two different configurations; the first runs a 200MHz Intel XScale processor with 64MB of internal non-volatile Flash storage, the second option operates on an upgraded 400MHz Intel XScale processor with 128MB of storage. The processor and the memory are the only difference between these models.
The TDS Recon has a CompactFlash slot, 3.5" color display with a resolution of 240x320. To improve durability, the CompactFlash slots and other memory and Bluetooth slots are fully sealed with a CF-Cap O-Ring. The 3.5" screen is sunlight readable so that there is no loss of functionality across environments. The Recon even has a battery life of up to 15 hours, and runs off Windows Mobile.
To further show that this handheld PDA is incredibly durable and functional, it can operate in a wide range of environments. Due to the fully enclosed nature, the Recon will work at extreme temperatures of -30° up to 60° Celsius. The TDS Recon has even shown to be reliable at altitudes as high as 15,000 ft. It is fully rugged and will withstand multiple drops from up to four feet, and full immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. You will no longer have to worry about your PDA failing due to the environment in which you work.
The features list of this high-performance Recon Handheld PDA that can serve you both at the office and in the field include:
- High performance computing power 200 MHz or 400 MHz XScale processor, a color display with front light, 64 MB of RAM, and 64 or 128 MB of nonvolatile Flash storage.
- Engineered to be ultra rugged it meets MIL-STD-810F standards for drops, impacts, vibration, and extreme temperatures. It also has the IP67 rating, which implies it is dust-, moisture- and water-proof.
- Two CompactFlash slots that give you tremendous expansion capabilities to add memory or optional peripheral devices, including Bluetooth of LAN, GPS using an extended CF-Cap.
- Color display - 1/4 VGA, 240x320 in portrait mode.
- TFT with LED front light, sunlight readable color display.
- Expansion Slots - 1 each Type I and Type II Compact Flash
- Synchronization Options with USB cable included and serial cable available separately.
- Battery capacity of over 15 hours of continuous operation at room-temperature with default settings.
- Several input options including handwriting recognition.
- Weighs just 17 oz (490 grams) including re-chargeable PowerBoot